Saturday, August 11, 2012

Menstrual Cycle Health Benefits from Green Tea: A personal study

Sorry guys, this is a post specifically for the ladies.


 This is my own personal study, that I have been experimenting on myself with. I learned something awesome about green tea, that will help you with your painful periods.  I don't take pain medications for ANYTHING. No Ibuprofen, no Tylenol, Midol, nada. Not with headaches, the flu, nothing (I just deal with the pain, hoping to build a pain tolerance or an amazing immune system of STEEL! hahaa). I don't want my body to get used to having to take pain pills for minor things, then build an immunity against it, as well as damage my liver/ get stomach ulcers, then not work when I really need it to. I DID try ibuprofen ONCE because I was hurting so bad (I felt like puking every single time I would breathe), BUT, all it did, was stall the pain until the next day (when it's usually gone for me). NO THANKS! I want the pain DONE AND OVER WITH.

For those of you who don't know me personally, I'm a HUGE TEA junkie. Specifically green teas, white teas, fruity flavored teas (NOT tea with fruit syrup poured into it like at restaurants). So naturally, places like Teavana are my heaven (www.teavana.com), or therepublicoftea.com now that Starbucks bought and closed all the Teavana stores -_-. The more obsessed with tea I've been, the more I've noticed some things.

-------------- Currently known health benefits of green tea: ----------------
Research shows that green tea benefits many other things for your body. It improves cognitive functioning, helps your memory and spatial learning, gives you a feeling of well-being, increases bone density, helps prevent cavities and tooth decay, helps blood pressure, helps cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes, ETC. So many other reasons to drink it!
 
http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/11-benefits-of-green-tea-that-you-didnt-know-about.html
 
Other than the obvious health reports and studies out there, I'm adding to the list, YOUR PERIOD!  I don't know if this is already a known thing posted somewhere else on the internet, as far as I know (without looking it up), it isn't.

Now to the point: I noticed that if you drink green tea regularly, but especially and mainly a few days to a week before your period, it'll actually make your period far less heavy (we all know the first days are the worst), and no where NEAR as painful (it wont be postponed to the next day either like on ibuprofen). It's more like, the last 2 days of your period. At least for me, since this has only been tested ON ME. Usually I cant move, breathe, eat, drink, NOTHING but SLEEP on the first day since I hurt so bad. Ever since I started rinking green tea more than usual, I noticed that when I drank green tea around the start of my period, it lightened it up a lot, and had little to no pain. I've been making sure I do it every month haha. It has also worked if i only drink green tea a few days prior to my period instead of regularly.

This has only been tested with the drink. NOT the "tea" from soda fountains, and not that garbage ARIZONA that claims to be tea (isn't even really tea at all).

I'm talking more along the lines of home brewed tea from loose leaf or tea bags, and a very small amount  of store made teas -if you don't want to make it yourself-  like my personal faves: 
(for those who love sweet tea, there's:)
Sweet Leaf Tea

(for those who love lightly sweetened tea, there's:)
 Honest Tea

These are the only store bought ones I've tested myself with (and several home brewed ones since I LOVE making tea for some weird reason, like a hobby). I would like to add that "herbal tea" is just that: herbs. There are no actual tea leaves in it, but you can mix an herbal tea with a green or white tea to give it flavor if you like.

I'm not sure about the green tea supplement capsules yet. I'm actually testing myself on those right now as a matter of fact. If they work, I'll add it to the end of this. 

No matter WHAT amount of green tea you drink, AVOID ALL SALT FOODS before your period!! Everyone knows salt DESTROYS YOU around your period (if you didn't know that, now you do, because it RETAINS WATER and makes you even more bloated, which causes more pain). I think salt also counters the awesome effects of the green tea (sad face for my love of salt n vinegar chips and salt n vinegar popcorn), because you will still hurt. I was curious who would win the battle between green tea and salt, so I ate some while also drinking the tea before my period lol. That was NO BUENO. Not a good idea lol. Salt wins, and it isnt a good win lol.

So there you go. Another reason to invest in the good green stuff. If you find this same info on another site, give me the link to read it. If you actually try this, and find that it works for you, LET ME KNOW! :D

Also, SHARE this information with every girl that you know! Save a fellow girl some pain, will ya? :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: 8/22/2012
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The green tea capsules/ supplements didn't work at ALL. At least not for me, you can still try them yourself.  Some of you in the comments say that it works for you. This might be one of those body chemistry differences, where its different for different people, but its worth a try if you haven't yet.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: 5/20/2018
I found that drinking brewed green tea with local honey (im not a fan of store bought honey, I like to find local bee keepers and buy from them since they tend to have more nutrients in the honey and they take care of the bees- Gallberry honey is my fav, Wildflower is my 2nd fav) when you are starting to feel sick is very helpful in reducing the symptoms of getting sick. It might even prevent you from getting sick altogether depending on how soon you do it. I work in a place where I am surrounded by sick people all day every day and when I feel any potential sick symptom coming on, I immediately brew a green tea with honey (maybe also with lemon), and take a zinc tablet if I have any. I don't get sick, and on the rare occasion, I might only get a stuffy nose instead of a full blown cold or flu. Green tea has antioxidants, [good quality] honey has antiviral,antibacterial, antimicrobial, antifungal, and antioxidative effects, with a high nutritional value (per research by Maryam Alsadat Hashemipour- read the discussion part of the study in link below). Zinc fights early cold symptoms.
http://www.woundsresearch.com/article/antiviral-activities-honey-royal-jelly-and-acyclovir-against-hsv-1
 

54 comments:

  1. I love your blog! You are really on point there. I just started my cycle last week and it did not get heavy since then.I have no cramps or mood swings. Usually it is heaviest the first couple days like you said. Lately I have been eating healthier and drinking LOTS of green tea. I usually drink 2-4 cups a day. It has done wonders for me and Im grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad to hear this is working for other people :) I was curious to do an experiment with myself, and it turned out for the better. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. I was taking Green Tea supplements starting last month for antiox purposes. Next month: My period was so light I barely noticed it.(I typically have heavy periods) and minimal cramps. Being worried, I did an internet search and found your blog. I'm going to recommend this to my friends. Amazing! Does work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Awesome that this is working for you. I think I'm going to try a new test on white tea this time. Definitely spread the word. Help out our fellow females everywhere :)

      Delete
  3. It worked for me too! Thanx a lot for your blog sweets <3 keep goin' :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have recently started drinking green tea every morning for the past two weeks, and started my cycle today. Usually AS SOO AS it starts I am bloated and in pain for the next 2 days. So far, I feel fine, which is a freaking miracle! So I googled if drinking green tea helps, and stumbled onto your blog :) Just wanted to let you know that in my experience as well, it works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your input!! I definitely love hearing from people who have been trying this. I did further research into the studies of green tea, and it also improves cognitive functioning. :) Figured this may be helpful info to some people.

      Delete
  5. Indeed, green tea has a lot health benefits and this is such a great read, thanks for sharing such helpful review. entire ageexperts.net site

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking time from your day to read it! :D

      Delete
  6. On the contrary, this post might be helpful for guys too! At least know we know what food to offer our ladies when they're at that time of the month. Normally I just throw chocolates and retreat at a safe distance. Now at least she has something to wash the chocolate down with. Heh.

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Make sure he chocolate actually has cacao in the ingredients (that's the part of the chocolate that has the benefits. Stuff like Hershey's doesn't really have that in their chocolate anymore, so there is no benefits). Glad I can be of some help for the men out there too :)

      Delete
  7. I think it does work for me too ...my period is less and my pains is less too...thanks for sharing...by the way I am taking the green tea supplements to help me to burn fat and calories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I am glad to see that the supplements work for some people! I bet if you also had the drink before your period, you would definitely feel the difference.

      Delete
  8. Hi there!
    I have very good reasons to believe that green tea actually works M-A-G-I-C!! I usually have very terrible cramps during my menstrual circle and sometimes throw up!!! I always feel so frustrated*sad face*.
    A Chinese friend of mine gave me just one sachet of green tea 2 days to my period, I prayed and then the miracle happened! Very little pain I could barely notice. I even went all out this time by taking "forbidden things" like sugar, ice, drinks, biscuit, chocolate, etc, and still couldn't feel the pain!!

    However, my flow this time was very heavy but free. This is my first time and I plan to maintain the green tea habit and see how this works in the coming months.
    Please which green tea do you recommend that I can continue with? I don't understand the writings on the current one I have.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I forgot to mention that I am currently in the UK. Please any idea where I can get good green tea here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi jay!
      This is the only way that i can see reply to you. So i hope you see this. You can go to any grocery store, and they should have packs of green tea that you can brew at home. Any brewed green tea is good. There are tons of different flavors of green tea (like gunpowder green tea, strawberry, etc.) So it just depends on which flavor you like. Just make sure the ingredient says green tea specifically. As for premade store bought teas,stick with the ones i listed on my blog post, as well as any organic brand. Other premade teas (like arizona and lipton) are total crap. You better off brewing it yourself and taking out with you in a container. Also, i recommend drinking one to two glasses of green tea a day everyday for About 5 days before your period. There are hundreds of other amazing benefits of drinking green tea so it will help your period, your brain, bones, blood pressure, etc! Hope this helps!

      Delete
    2. Has it been helping for you? :)

      Delete
  10. Great! Thanks alot Xaeon, you've been very helpful!!

    Also, do you think Green tea could help with Acne treatment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no doubt that it helps. It has antioxidants in it which is amazing for your body, including your skin. There are some acne products out there that has green tea in it. You can try searching on vitacost.com for green tea products,im pretty sure that they sell some. Also, bath and body stores sell things.sometimes drug stores do,if you have a cvs nearby.

      Delete
    2. Great! Thanks alot.................X

      Delete
  11. Hi I am from India. Love tea esp green tea. Need to know two things. 1. Does green tea cause fatulence? 2 Are Twinnings green tea bags good? I am peri menopausal and get bad cramps among other things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tiku!
      I am not a doctor, so I cannot say if green tea helps with flatulence or not, but I have not looked into it. I also have not noticed anything with that. Any green tea bags are good. It is best to brew the tea yourself, so the brand of tea bag does not matter. I see the best results that way, so yes Twinnings is good :) I use them sometimes, myself!

      Delete
  12. I got Lipton clear green tea bags with mint flavour and I was hoping that by drinking hot green tea regularly I may be able to lose some weight, and help my menstrual pain which has increased during the last few months. I need to ask you, should the green tea be hot, warm, cold as we drink it, or there is no difference in effect as we drink it all ways??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drink it hot, warm, and cold. If im freezing, I make it hot/ warm, if I am hot I make it cold lol. So each way is fine. I have never heard of clear green tea, and when I looked it up, it seems odd. Regular green tea is not clear, so it makes me wonder if Lipton has altered the leaf some how, weakening the tea for a lighter taste, or mixing it with white tea leaf (which is a much lighter taste, and is almost clear). I brew the tea hot, in the amount that I want to drink it, and then I pour it over ice. I do not add water to it after that, so that I do not water it down more than the ice already will.

      Delete
  13. It is very interesting article about green tea..Thanks for sharing this article,
    "Green Tea Cleanser"

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey,Xaeon. I found your blog interesting. A few questions for you....Can green tea increase the flow during periods? And is Tetley green tea a good choice??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same question I was thinking I drink Tetley green tea for weight loss it really does work.

      Delete
    2. Hi to both of you,
      I have not read anywhere that green tea increases the flow during periods, but in my personal research, it decreased it. Tetley green tea is good as long as you are brewing it from tea bags :)

      Delete
  15. Green tea is actually very good...I take green tea at least twice a day, it has so many health benefits according to what I noticed. I used to have very bad menstrual cramps and migraine. After taking the tea for a while, I no longer feel the migraine, and my period cramps reduced drastically since then I never let myself run out of green tea bags..lol. I use the brand LEGEND, they have so many flavors, their green tea and moringa is really amazing. I'd say a cup of green tea a day keeps the doctor away!....stumbled upon this blog but I'd congratulate you xaeon, nice one keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I agree, a cup of green tea a day keeps the doctor away! ;D

      Delete
  16. Thank you! I'm a tea lover already and absolutely love green tea so knowing this just makes it more awesome! ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ‘

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks,but i have one question.Does green tea help with weight loss.I normally drink my green tea without sugar so that it will work simultaneously

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My personal study is not on weightloss, but there are many articles and research done on green tea and weight loss!

      Delete
  18. Thank you so much for this helpful article,.
    it's really good,.
    matcha

    ReplyDelete
  19. I tried it and it worked perfectly well for me. Thanks alot for this great info

    ReplyDelete
  20. hey was doing some search and landed here. my periods are late and am 100% sure am not pregnant. Started taking green tea today and i hope soon i will have a reason like yours. Am 4 days late though i had traveled out last week am hoping that could be the cause to my delay. Will definitely bring my story here. Mine are usually heavy and blotting tummy. Hope to have a better story soon. A nice blog it is.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for this helpful and nice post about tea,
    SKINNY TEATOX

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can totally relate with the 'no-painkiller-attitude'. I was always thinking that not taking painkillers means increasing my body's threshold towards pain. I've only taken ibuprofen once in my entire life. Anyway, great to see a post on the benefits of green tea on menstruation. All I see on internet so far are those encouraging us to limit our intake on green tea before and during menstruation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always find articles like that interesting, because green tea has a little bit of caffeine in it, and menstrual pain meds also have caffeine in it. Don't know what other aspect of the green tea should be avoided lol.

      Delete
  23. Hi, Great post. Can I add a few things that may of be some interest. Green tea's are high in EGCG's that are known to bind Iron, (you can actually buy this online at places like iherb, vitacost etc) if you research this it rather interesting. Iron, as important as it is can also be highly toxic and is likely the reason why men are known to die younger than women as we have no way of dumping iron out of the body. Excess iron also causes many diseases such as Haemochromatosis, Parkinson's and also other such issues such as Frozen shoulder. So my advice is research EGCG...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome information! I didnt know that. Thank you! I will look into it :)

      Delete
  24. Hi, I want to share my experience. I started drinking green tea going on 2 months now. I have had extremely painful periods for the past 12 years. This past month my period was late, not even the usual spotting in between periods. I was beginning to think, it wasn't coming at all, or when it did, it was going to be horrific. Last night it came with no warning, not the 2 days of pain that always comes first. I had maybe 3 hours of the turning from the shedding but not anything like the contractions I felt before. I'm now flowing heavily, and don't flow like this until after 2 days of all the pain and suffering. I drink 2-3 cups of hot Bigelow Green Tea daily and didn't change anything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I am glad that it helped reduce some of your early cycle pain!

      Delete
  25. It was quite informative and nice post,.
    Thanks for sharing with us,
    best weight loss coach in los angeles

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you. I am desperately trying to help my daughter's extremely painful periods. They are ruining her life.

    ReplyDelete